Version 2.0 users can get a free upgrade—see below
This new offering is loaded with almost 400,000 given names and nicknames. This represents virtually every first name found in the United States, and a quarter of the database is international names only found outside the United States.
The package is also replete with information about the languages associated with the names, their origin, and even has a popularity ranking for all first names appearing in the United States since 1915. It identifies more than 500 languages, dialects, and ethnic groups, from English and Spanish to Arabic and Swahili.
- Nicknames: the heart of the database is a huge collection of more than 200,000 nicknames and the names they are associated with, including short forms, abbreviations, diminutives, and even hypocoristics.
- Name Variations: different ways of spelling given name and nicknames are identified based on linguistic and onomastic name tree research—some names can have more than a hundred variations.
- Phonetic Matches: first names that are not true variations but sound similar or have close spellings are identified and rated on a 1 to 99 scale.
- Languages: we have appended extensive demographic information about languages of usage.
- Popularity: name popularity is ranked based of U.S. Census and U.S. Social Security records.
- Special Origins: unique characteristics about the name origins are also provided, including their connections to religion, mythology, historical events, and literature.
A Pro edition even adds fuzzy logic which allows matching when names are entered with typographical errors.
Finally, students, teachers, scholars, and those researching family histories benefit as well because the software is highly recommended for study in genealogy, onomatology, anthroponymy, ethnology, linguistics, and related disciplines.
pdNickname 3.0 is available for immediate download from our website. It can be purchased as a standalone product (Pro, $495; Standard, $299), or as part of bundles now on sale, including pdSuite Names ($595) and pdSuite Master Collection ($695).
SPECIAL UPGRADE OFFER FOR 2.0 USERS
If you have pdNickname 2.0, for a limited time you can get a free upgrade to the new version. This applies to standalone versions and suites that contain the product. This offer expires June 30, 2016.